Marblehead Youth Lacrosse - Boys
Marblehead Youth Lacrosse is open to all Boys in Marblehead from Pre-K to 8th grade. The older groups(U13 and U15) play in the Mass Bay Youth Lacrosse League(MBYLL). We have 5 different age groups:
- U7: Pre-K and K. Clinic on Sunday Mornings from 8:15-9:15
- U9: 1st and 2nd grades. Clinic Sunday Mornings from 8:15-9:45, additionally, 1 team sign up per week team to play other towns
- U11: 3rd and 4th grades. These teams play other towns and pracice twice a week
- U13: 5th and 6th grades. These teams play other towns on Sundays and practice twice a week
- U15: 7th and 8th grades. These teams play other towns on Sundays and practice twice a week
- Town Select Teams: for U13 and U15. These teams are for the more dedicated player looking for more opportunity and better competition. There are tryouts for these teams. They play in the MBYLL Town Select program and practice once a week with games on Saturdays. This is not an equal playing time team.
Our goal as a program is to provide a positive environment for our boys to learn the game of lacrosse and have fun doing it. We teach kids to respect the game, their teammates, their opponents and the officials and do not tolerate anyone straying from these values. The regular town teams are equal playing time and give them opportunities to try different positions.
Marblehead Youth Lacrosse Board,
John Thompson(Co-Director and Treasurer), Chris Gallup(Co-Director), Chris Hutchinson, John Kelly, Will Walters, Chaz Bertrand, John Whipple, Dave Krauter
The MBYLL Statement:
Mission: Our mission is to teach, grow and honor the game in your town & every community in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by providing leadership, guidance, training and structure to all town & city programs participating in the MBYLL’s spring game schedule and the annual MBYLL Jamboree held each June at the end of our season.
Philosophy: Our philosophy in the MBYLL Classic program is all players participate equally (i.e. equal playing time) in all games on evenly balanced teams based on a player’s grade, age, skill, size & experience—U15 (7th & 8th), U13 (5th & 6th), U11 (3rd & 4th) & U9 (1st & 2nd)—playing a local game schedule in their region. There are NO ‘A’ or ‘B’ or ‘stacked’ teams, nor standings or playoffs, at any level playing in the MBYLL Classic program & our traditional league games on Sunday’s.
Our MBYLL Select program is an additional town-based playing opportunity—NOT a replacement for—a players participation in the MBYLL Classic program. MBYLL Select team players must also participate on their MBYLL Classic team (Why? See Goals below). MBYLL Select has Division-based standings, playoffs, State Championship & All-Star games.
Our coaches are trained and certified to be teachers of the game & role models focused on player development, teamwork & learning the fun•damentals—especially the ‘fun’ part. MBYLL is an inclusive organization open to all towns & cities where, collectively, we strive to always provide a safe, enjoyable, learning experience for all participants in an environment not swept up in the pressure filled, win-at-all-cost mania too common in youth sports today.
Goals: Our primary goal is all MBYLL players, coaches, parents, officials and program leaders will have a fun experience while always demonstrating role-model sportsmanship on and off the field as together we learn, share and teach the fundamental skills and teamwork required to play the game well. Responsible growth & participation in every member town is a secondary goal.
MBYLL provides training, guidance, certification & grade + age-specific rules of play for all member towns, coaches, players & officials with a particular focus on player safety, sportsmanship and fair play for a positive, fun experience for all participants.
Honor the Game: We honor the game by practicing positive coaching, teaching life lessons beyond the playing field and by developing a strong community among all MBYLL players, coaches, parents, officials and fans that will last a lifetime.
As MBYLL town members, we continue to improve our lacrosse knowledge & program capabilities each season as we learn, share and teach the game based on speed, stick skills, athleticism and teamwork—and not physical intimidation.
Your League: Mass Bay Youth Lacrosse League (MBYLL) represents 160+ towns split in to five geographic regions—for local game scheduling—in eastern & central Massachusetts with over 20,000 players in 1st to 8th grades on 950 teams and led by 2,000 active MBYLL & USL certified coaches this spring. Below are some of the services and value the organization provides its members along with a few key highlights about what Mass Bay Youth Lacrosse, your league, represents today:
- MBYLL is one of the largest youth lacrosse leagues & organizations in the United States w/ over 50,000 players, parents & coaches.
- MBYLL Jamboree held each June is the largest youth lacrosse event in the USA w/ over 450 teams & 25,000 players, coaches & fans.
- MBYLL Jamboree event sponsors & partners contribute over 40% of our total annual operating budget—keeping member fees low.
- MBYLL funds & organizes coaching education, certification, clinics & online training for all our coaches & town leaders each spring.
- MBYLL funds & organizes our Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) partnership for workshops & online Coach, Parent, Player courses.
- MBYLL mandates all our coaches be MBYLL-certified at least every 2 years thru MBYLL & USL-integrated Level I/II/III coaching clinics.
- MBYLL funds & organizes the (8) Sunday, mid-week & MBYLL Select spring game schedule w/ over 6,000 games played each season.
- MBYLL funds & coordinates with EMLOA to contract for referee Assignors to schedule game officials for all MBYLL league contests.
- MBYLL funds & contracts with EMLOA to train, certify or re-certify all MBYLL Associate Officials (AO’s) each spring for town members.
- MBYLL funds & organizes the Regional Referee Coordinators & our AO support resources in each of our five geographic regions.
- MBYLL is led by an all-volunteer board of directors who—like MBYLL town leaders & coaches—are all passionate about the game.
Thank you for your participation and efforts in making Mass Bay Youth Lacrosse League a continued success ...